Send the following to Michelle Glanzer, Patron Service Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- 2017 Student Application
Student Museum Aide – 2 Vacancies available now
The South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum has two vacancies for museum aides.
The South Dakota Agricultural Museum offers unique opportunities to undergraduate students who are interested in learning about museum operations and museum related careers. Interns work under the supervision of museum staff in the areas of curatorial, collections management, education, public services, administration, and may, as opportunity and timing present themselves, assist with exhibition research or installation. This internship gives students a solid overview of the types of careers available in the museum world.This is an excellent opportunity for a full time student in history, accounting, merchandizing, and communications to gain professional work experience while getting their degree.
This position is responsible to the full-time staff of the SD Agricultural Heritage Museum.
Start: Mid May15
The Museum Assistant will work between 20-40 hours. The museum is open seven-days a week. Students will work 2 weekends a month. Wage: $8.55 per hour.
Job duties include:
- Greeting visitors, answering questions related to the museum, exhibits, SDSU, & Brookings.
- Promoting a positive image of the Museum.
- Maintaining security for Museum exhibits on weekends, or as needed during the weekdays
- Assisting Museum volunteers on weekends, or as needed during the weekdays.
- Assisting Museum staff as needed, keeping and compiling statistics, and maintaining exhibits
- Cashier for the Museum Shop on weekends and as needed during the week. This includes ringing up sales, stocking shelves and entering inventory.
- Open and close the museum.
- Process the daily deposit for the museum store.
- Processing new memberships, preparing notes, creating posters, mailings, advertisements, and postcards for the members and the public.
- Must be fluent in English, well-spoken and articulate
- Be detail-oriented with good organizational skills
- Have excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, and Publisher required)
- Have excellent customer service skills
- Retail experience preferred but not required.
- Be able to work a minimum of two (2) weekends per month during the school year and up to 3 weekends per month during the summer.
Specific skills needed:
- Student must be an undergraduate; can be from any department or major
- Good oral and written communication skills; high proficiency in English
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to interpret and follow both written and oral instructions
- Ability to lift 35 pounds
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders
- Basic computer skills using primarily Microsoft software (other specific task software will be taught)
- Ability to work with a wide variety of ages, genders, cultures, and large groups of people
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn
- May involve some weekend work at the front desk and gift shop or evening work with museum events and programs
The position will remain open until filled and is work-study eligible. The museum is open all year long, 7 days a week April – December. Closed Sundays January – March. Closed State Holidays. Hours open to the public are Monday – Saturday 10:00am to 5:00pm. Sunday 1:00pm to 5:00pm.
The museum is located on the corner of Medary Ave. & 11th street on the SDSU campus.
Specific Job Duties for Student Museum/Visitor Aide Position
- Greet visitors and keep a daily count of visitors.
- You do not have to be an expert when answering questions, but you must be polite and resourceful!
- Monitor exhibits & galleries.
- Answer the phone professionally and transfer calls or take messages properly.
Regarding the Museum Shop:
- Make sales to visitors and count back change.
- Cash out the register, and prepare the tally reports.
- Assist with annual physical inventory.
Regarding Your Computer Skills:
- Keep statistics of volunteer hours and Museum attendance. (Excel)
- Create various attendance reports as needed. (Excel, Word)
- Work with staff posting on social media sites.
This list provides an idea of the duties that will be included in the Museum Aide position. It is by no means complete; there will be other duties as assigned. At times the museum aide will be asked to work with the artifact collection or to help build exhibits. Those duties will be assigned as needed. Be open to learning new skills and helping with new projects.