Museum receives grant to restore windows

Main building

The South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum received $15,000 for the restoration of the Stock Judging Pavilion’s windows. The South Dakota State Historical Society through the Deadwood Fund grant program funded in part this project. The total cost of the restoration and the replacing of the windows is estimated at $170,000. The remaining funds are provided by individual donors to the museum and state HEF funds.

The Stock Judging Pavilion is on the National Register for Historic Places. It was built in 1918 as a show arena and classroom space for animal husbandry classes. In 1925, an additional wing and lower level was added to house the meats lab. In the 1970s, the South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum became it’s permanent resident.