SCHOOL TOURS WELCOME!
Experience the history of South Dakota agriculture and settlement; learn about the technology of farming and life in the northern Great Plains at the South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum. We offer both school and group guided tours of the museum upon request. Our tours are free to the public, but we do recommend a donation of $3 per person.
To schedule a tour at the South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum click the registration form that best applies to you. Please read through recommended scheduling information before submitting.
We offer 2 tour variations for school groups.
Option 1: Museum Only Tour (Recommended for groups around 40 or less):
With option 1 we will organize a tour of the museum for your requested group, and provide in museum educational enrichment and activities for them to enjoy. We find that smaller group sizes make for a more rewarding museum experience, but if your school group exceeds the recommended number of people, separate tours may be set up on different days to accommodate the entire group, (For example, if you would like to arrange for your entire 4th grade level to come, we can easily split the grade level up between two weekdays and accommodate all children).
Option 2: Museum and Campus Rotations (Recommended for larger groups):
With option 2, you may set up a tour through the museum to visit our museum, as well as some of SDSU’s most popular campus attractions.
Alongside the museum, alternate group rotations include:
- SDSU Dairy Bar- Takes a minimum of 45 minutes.
- The South Dakota Art Museum –Takes a minimum of 45 minutes.
- The SDSU Horse Unit-Takes a minimum of 45 minutes
- McCrory Gardens: your group may choose to tour the grounds as well as have a picnic lunch. – Tours take a minimum of 1 hour, with lunch expect to be there a minimum of 2 hours.
(Disclaimer: All campus attractions may not be available on your requested tour day, the earlier you make a request the more likely the availability).
When you are on a school-sanctioned field trip, you, the teacher are responsible for your class. Even though you are not in your classroom, you are still the adult responsible for the safety and education of the children in your care.
- The museum is a busy place, so book your tour at least 10 days in advance. If you are visiting other sites in Brookings, off campus, be aware that there is no central scheduling. You will need to call each site you wish to visit. The best time to arrange tours is Monday – Friday 9 AM – 4:30 PM.
- When making reservations, please have a minimum of 3 alternate dates in mind. The date you have in mind may already be booked. The Museum will not accept tours made through a third party.
- Guided tours are a minimum of 45 minutes and are led by a member of the museum staff or a volunteer. Tours consist of an age appropriate lesson and an activity. Self-guided/teacher led tours are welcome, but you still should make reservations.
- We request that school groups have at least 1 adult for every 10 children. Teachers and chaperones must stay with the group throughout the visit.
- If your group is delayed, your plans change, or you decide to cancel, please notify the museum as soon as possible. Contact our Education Coordinator Jess Burke at email@example.com or by phone at (605) 688-4582 .
- The Museum’s preference is for the children to engage with the exhibits and have a fun learning experience.
- There is a small gift shop in the museum where unique South Dakota gifts, books, and souvenirs may be purchased. The shop is small and can accommodate no more than 3 students at a time; they must be accompanied by an adult. Allowing your students into the shop is your option.
- If you have students who have special needs, please let the museum know this at the time you make the reservation. With this information, we can plan a more effective tour. If you have a number of students in your group for whom English is NOT their first language, we need to know that also. Adjustments can be made so that they too, can understand the tour and have fun.
- In order to preserve the artifacts on exhibit for future generations, we ask you to not smoke, eat, or drink while in the Museum.
- There are other sites to visit in Brookings. Telephone numbers for other places to visit in Brookings are listed below. There is no central scheduling off campus, so you will have to call each site you wish to visit. The best time to arrange tours is Monday – Friday 9 AM – 4:30 PM.
USEFUL TELEPHONE NUMBERS
SD Agricultural Heritage Museum 605-688-6226
South Dakota Art Museum 605-688-5423
McCrory Gardens 605-688-5136
SDSU Dairy Bar 605-697-2585
Community Cultural Center 605-692-4177
Historic District Tours 605-692-6281
South Dakota Children’s Museum 605-692-6700
Enjoy you visit to the South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum!